Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

To blog, or not to blog....

So where to begin? I have no idea. I know the blog title seems sort of...weird? Cheesy? I don't even know. But it will make sense at some point in this first entry. Sitting down to write again is weird to me. The last time I wrote a personal blog entry was in college, and the last time I really kept up with a blog? High School. Yup.

I guess introductions are in order? Hah. I'm a 26 year old "young professional." I'm from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Sort of. I'm actually from a lot of different places. My dad has a "7 year itch," where he decides to pick up and move the family somewhere new every 7 years. In my 26 years of life, I have lived in South Korea (I was born there, and we moved after I turned 1, but it still counts!), Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Wisconsin (2 different cities/houses), and last year I picked up and moved myself to Atlanta.

I work in the HR department for a large retailer housed out of Atlanta. I'm  not exactly doing my "dream job," but I've got my foot in the door! Anyone else notice that it's hard to get into a field....specifically HR....when you don't know the right people? I'm actually very lucky to have found this job in the rough economy here, but I'll save that little bit of info for a different day when I have nothing to write about. Haha. I'm also starting to slowly but surely start up freelance makeup. That's really where I get into trouble with my money - makeup. And I always try and justify my spending on makeup with the "but I'm a freelance makeup artist, I NEED this stuff!" Hopefully, I can rid myself of these excuses soon!

I was inspired to start this blog by the influence of the amazing Natalie McNeal. I read her book, The Frugalista Files, on a recent trip back home to Wisconsin for a friend's wedding and sort of fell in love with the idea of documenting my journey of becoming debt-free. I'm a very visual and hands-on type of person, so what better way than to document my progress? I don't expect to gather a huge number of readers, so who knows, I'll probably add some little tidbits of info from my personal life. In the end, it's very likely this blog will be more like a diary for me. Haha.

As far as my debt goes....I'm just going to come right out and say it. I have a lot of debt out there, but I have a lot of nosy people in my life that will probably stumble on this blog. And to avoid the "disappointed/angry conversations, I'm not going to tell you all the exact amounts of debt I have. Maybe eventually I'll put on a brave face and post my numbers, but for the time being, I will keep a corresponding file on my computer that will have the actual debt/payment amounts listed, and maybe later on I'll add them to the posts. I will, however, be sure to let you in on how much I'm paying monthly. For now, just know that I have a fair amount of debt out there. I have credit card debt, student loans, a car payment, and quite possibly a mortgage payment in the near future. I know, I know....adding even more debt to my name by attempting to buy a place, but have you seen rent prices in Atlanta? They are very high, and buying a condo or townhouse....the mortgage payment would be most affordable. So, now that I'm not such a stranger, let's see how this whole blog thing works out...

0 comments:

Post a Comment